Feb 14, 2015 -- posted by DarK
Disclaimer – This post is purely for academic and curiosity’s sake. This is most likely not legal and should be approached appropriately.
This howto guide is going to be quite technical and I don’t expect the masses to be able to understand it.
Jumping right to it. You need few pieces.
- A host in one of the countries that are allowed to view Star Sports. A list can be found here. I am using a t2.micro aws instance in Frankfurt.
- An account on starsports.com with cricket subscription. It costs Rs.120($2) if purchased in India and Rs.1200($20) if purchased outside. So if you know anyone in India ask him to buy subscription for you.
- Putty for tunneling. PuttyGen for key conversion.
- Firefox/Google chrome with proxy settings set to use the tunnel.
I’ll explain each step in detail here. It requires minimal settings and you should be able to get the whole thing up and running in about 10 minutes.
- Create an AWS t2.micro instance in frankfurt. It’s in free tier and you should be able to get away with no charges if you keep an eye on the bandwidth usage. Note – While creating the aws instance opt for the key as authentication mechanism. It will prompt you to download a key which you will need later on.
- Get an account on startsports.com with world cup package. If you know someone in India you get it for about $2
- You should have the key file downloaded in Step#1. Download PuttyGen and follow the Converting Your Private Key Using PuTTYgen instructions on this page
- Once you’ve followed the instructions, you should have a new file which has your private key. Download Putty. Follow steps 1 & 2 on this page. Before step 3 perform following steps in putty
In the Category pane, expand Connection, expand SSH, and then select Auth. Complete the following:
i. Click Browse.
ii. Select the .ppk file that you generated for your key pair, and then click Open.
iii. (Optional) If you plan to start this session again later, you can save the session information for future use. Select Session in the Category tree, enter a name for the session in Saved Sessions, and then click Save.
iv. Click Open to start the PuTTY session.
Continue with step 3-8 and you are all set.
Open Firefox and goto http://www.starsports.com/ to watch all the cricket you want.
Note – You can limit the network usage in the video player in the left side, next to play/pause button by clicking on “HD” icon. This way you should be able to stay inside the aws free tier. You are allowed about 15GB network bandwidth with aws. It’s not much when watching videos so keep an eye out for that or you’ll end up spending money there.